About Physiotherapy You May Not Know About
Have you ever wondered what else about physiotherapy that you don’t already know? Here are the top 8 things you may not know about physiotherapy.
8. Physiotherapists can work in a big variety of settings – the usual ones are the hospitals, clinics and nursing homes; but they can also be found in schools, emergency rooms and even the ministry of health.
7. There are many different types of physiotherapy disciplines, from academics (teaching) to clinical practice such as neurology, orthopaedics, respiratory, lymphedema, wound care, hand therapy and even mental health physiotherapy.
6. Physiotherapists are often very trained health personnels – don’t be surprised to see them having Masters, double Masters or even Doctorates. Why such growth in having more training and education is as the physiotherapy domain has grown so much that many universities have developed Masters and Doctors and other post-grad programs for us to grow, so that the physiotherapists can serve the population better.
5. Physiotherapists can treat dizziness and vertigo. Some clients who has vertigo may experience sessions of dizziness with a change in their head position or with a head movement (common cause of dizziness). This is in fact a dysfunction within the vestibular system in their inner ear.
4. You can actually be assessed and treated by a physiotherapist without a doctor’s referral. You may just walk into a physiotherapy clinic to get treatment…but as physiotherapists work closely with doctors, you may still be referred to a doctor as a cross-referral.
3. If you tell your physiotherapist that a particular exercise is easy…we definitely will make it more difficult. If you tell your physiotherapist that a particular exercise is difficult, we will help you do it.
2. Physiotherapy massages are not the same as the ones you get in a spa where you can smile and relax and sleep – when we do the massages for you, it’s to decrease muscle tightness and increase the mobility of a particular structure, to help increase function. It can be tender, but can be very beneficial.
1. The magic lies in both the physiotherapists but also the compliance to the physiotherapy home program – you need to put in the effort and time to participate in the home program – the more you participate, often, the quick your recovery.
Are any of the 8 things about physiotherapy something you already know about?